Popular Posts

Monday, November 10, 2014

Be a Meal Planning Guru - DAY 1 - Starches

Below is my list of starches that I rotate into my meal planning. Your list may be different. Some families can also list items like couscous, millet, polenta, or quinoa. It is important to be very specific here, do not just simply list rice, or potatoes. While we are not listing recipes or styles or methods of cooking the item, we must list the type of item. For example, I will list brown rice and not just "rice." I will not list "mashed potatoes." I also consider corn a starch and not a veggie, but it's your meal planning so you may list it as a veggie if you categorize it as such in your household. That's your prerogative.



STARCHES (I keep these things on hand in abundance since they have longer expiration dates. I rarely have to shop for these on a weekly basis)
brown rice
wild rice
white rice
yellow rice
red potatoes
white potatoes
wheat rigatoni
spaghetti
Shorter expiration dates but easy to buy or prep
corn (I prefer fresh, but frozen corn lasts much longer and is much quicker)
biscuits (I always have flour and butter on hand)
bread (I buy one loaf a week, your family may need more or less. Storing bread in the fridge extends the life considerably)

Monday's MEAL PLANNING GURU HOMEWORKToday decide what starches will be your family's staples. Make a list of them and ask your family for their input. Make a note of  any absolute favorites and take suggestions. 

No comments:

Post a Comment