Popular Posts

Monday, January 26, 2015

Pre-Pre-School Woes


My babygirl is two and turning three years old very soon. I am so full of anxiety about the next step for her education. I know... it really sounds like she is headed to college but I think preschool is a very important foundation for kids. It not only teaches them practical skills and knowledge, it also gives them a mindset towards learning and discovery, formal and informal. When done optimally, it prepares them for the challenges of problem solving. I want her to LOVE learning. I have always enjoyed learning and discovering new things and I do not want her to feel discouraged by any new challenge. I believe that preschool helps to guide children in that direction.

However, the hubby and I have become extremely picky when it comes to preschool. We have visited preschools and we have met with teachers and administrators, filled out applications and requested information. We have developed  what seems like an unattainable list of "must-haves" all to come to the realization that our home might possibly be the best preschool for our daughter. I emphasize, "for our daughter" because I don't want anyone to feel judged or pricked by this article. Every child is different. Every parental decision is different and the absolute best decisions are tailored to your child. 

So, barring the manifestation of the perfect, cost-effective, Montessori-esque, religious based or religious tolerant, private, located near-by, preschool solution in the next 6 months, I will be starting the McKay Household Preschool, enrollment limited to ONE. 

Homeschooling will not be the solution for us indefinitely. We will revisit traditional school life in 2 years. 

There is a great article here about making the best choice for your kids: http://kidsintheword.net/how-to-make-the-choice-to-homeschool-or-not/

Kindergarten here we come!!


No comments:

Post a Comment